Framing Project

 Original frame (top left) and sewn artwork by Elizabeth Eagle, inspired by Egon Schiele drawing (bottom left).  The matching frames were found on a construction site and given to me by Andres.  The framing was professional but the teapot poster prints were not as original. Beth's artwork was inherited during my art school days circa 2006 and have had a place on my wall ever since.  They were stretched on wood stretcher bars and had begun to collect dust.  They needed to be behind glass and protected in my new home!

Step 1: Remove all staples and separate fabric and wood frame. 
 
Step 2: Measure and cut thin cardboard squares and restretch the fabric using tape (preferably archival artist tape but I just used what I had).

 
Step 4: Sand and spray paint salvaged frames with a white semigloss. I needed to do about three coats on each frame to achieve a fairly even cover. It still had a slightly textural look when done. 

Step 5: Selectively sand the raised edges and detailing to give it an antiqued feel. 

Step 6: Cut the salvaged mat board to fit the new artwork. I had to enlarge to opening slightly to fit the 8"x10" images.

Reassemble and they're ready to be hung! Andres helped me secure the cardboard backing using small 1" panel board nails (3 to 4 nails in each side). 

Houswerks' Chipped


I recently found out that I was neighbors with Housewerks, an architecture "werkshop" with a wonderful assortment of industrial, kitchen, and bath items, as well as other assorted decorative objects.  I was out on a freezing cold January walk when I stumbled across their semi abandoned looking lot. After asking around, I made my way into their old building which turned out to be a hidden jem, heated by wood burning furnace.  I was only armed with my Android but was still able to snap a few shots. I spoke to the owner and am now working to schedule a shooting trip with my photography students. Can't wait to reshoot!