Building Nicaragua




What is poverty? How is it seen? How is it experienced? And why does it exist?

These are the questions I brought as I traveled in the spring of 2005 with a group of MICA students to a village in the Ticuantepe area of Nicaragua. We spent five days living and working in a small community and several days touring Nicaragua. I left with many more questions unanswered.

This body of work functions as a documentation of that experience. I attempt to explore reasons for and manifestation of poverty, as well as the interactions between Americans and Nicaraguans. I am aware of myself as an outsider and realize that these works merely speak of my own experience and not that of the Nicaraguan people. However, at the same time, I am inspired by a desire to make the stories and faces of the people and places I encountered known.

March 2005

No comments: